Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Part 2: Please don't get bored with my life story. It's long.

So, we've gotten to the point of my 9th grade year in my life story. Really, don't ask me why I cherish it so much. I just do. I guess that was the year I really found my identity and started t0 grow up (Physically, as well as in every other aspect haha). So I'll begin. Keep reading if you dare. Or if you have fifteen minutes with nothing else to do.

So 9th grade started and by that year so much was starting to fall into place. I was starting to accumulate a good group of friends, I was starting to head down the path of what I wanted to be when I grew up, I was starting to gain a real testimony spiritually, and the start of seminary really helped me continue that, and finally, and what I know you've been dying to hear about, I knew that this year in NAL was going to be EPIC. And it was.

At the beginning of the year, I began a class that became very important in steering my career life. The class was called "Principles of Engineering" or POE, and it was part of a new magnet program that began that year, Project Lead the Way. The program was set up to begin teaching kids who wanted to pursue a career in engineering the basics of engineering, and would build on different elements of it every year until your senior year. So I began that class with my buddies Michael Johnson and Jordan Blechert, whom I've already talked about. And it was great fun, we had many many good times in that class. It was because of that class that I really cemented my desire to become an engineer.

Socially, this year was my best year so far. You see, I'm the type that only keeps a small, close group of really good friends and doesn't like to branch out. But this year I branched out a bit. Now I'm not saying I became a social butterfly, far from it. I was still slightly reserved and content to sit back and watch the action, but the people I was previously friends with started to introduce me to knew people that I really got along with. This was the year I met many of my current friends, and got to know better people I already knew but never really got to know, you know? This was the year I got to know Colette Heslop better, even though we'd went to school for years together (but we didn't REALLY get to know each other until Sophomore year right Colette?). And many many other friends that became part of my very close group of friends that I'm still friends with today. So we all started to get closer, and hung out more and more, and we started to refer to ourselves as "The Group". Creative I know. Unfortunately that group didn't last throughout high school for various reasons but that's a story for another day. So throughout the year I have many good time of us doing things together, and will always remember the good times we had...

Now for the NAL front. I have to be careful with this because I could easily write a book on our season that year. That's how great it was. But I'll give you the condensed version. I do have to say though, that I know you probably don't care about this as much as I do, in fact I'm sure of it, but just humor me. Or stop reading, either or. So this year I tried out and once again made captain, or co-captain rather, with Eric Schmidt. Wow, this gonna be really hard to condense...okay, I'll REALLY condense it. We were really good and won the district championship. We went to nationals and won two games to make it to the final four, where we lost. However the team we lost to won 1st nationally so that gave us 3rd place. In the nation. Pretty good right? Yeah, it was awesome.

There was so much that happened that year I could never write about it all. But needless to say it was a great year. So much good happened in my life that I'll never forget that year. But I actually have to get back to work so I gotta stop. Get ready tomorrow to hear all about high school! Yay!


2 comments:

  1. POE was the best! I love Mrs. Barker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was, we had so much fun :) Mike was little then...

    ReplyDelete