Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm supposed to be working...

Okay so pretty much all of my friends and family, and by now most everyone on Facebook, knows how lax I am with my job. Much envy and jealousy and annoyance has been directed my way because of it. For example, right now I am doing this while sitting in my office at work. But not many people know the full picture of how this came to be. So my friends and associates, it looks like it's story time.

I began working at Decker Plumbing Supply approximately 2 years, 1 month, and 3 days ago, halfway through my junior year of high school. Back then, it was owned by my father, Garren Decker, my uncle, Greg Decker, and my grandfather, Joe Decker. Heck if I know where they got the name from. Anyway, they had owned it for the past 25 years when I began at the very-most bottom rung of the ladder. Actually scratch that, I had actually been at the bottom rung the past two summers I spent working there as Janitor and Gopher Boy, cleaning toilets, vacuuming rugs, mopping floors, emptying garbages and picking up lunch on occasion. So now I guess you could say I was at the second rung.

I began as low level secretary, or secretary's assistant more like, doing the basic duties of filing, faxing, and inputting information into the computer system, in addition to other odds and ends. I worked that way for about 6 months, until the dreaded EVIL descended over the store. In June of 2007, Decker Plumbing Supply was purchased by a national company, Hajoca International Plumbing and Heating Supply. In effect they made our life here a living heck, with their busy work and health incentives and Eastern business style crap, not letting us do business the way we wanted, the way it had worked for us for 25 years. For me personally, they basically made my job obsolete, shifting my duties to other branches of their business and computerizing our system. So that in essence knocked me back down to the bottom rung of the ladder. Let's just say I became an expert on sweeping techniques.

So that's how I functioned for the entire summer of 2007. Now that I remember it, I would prefer not to live through it again (shudder) yikes...anyway, then I began my Senior year of high school, which also meant beginning something else that starts soon after school starts, and that's the school musical. So I tried out for and made the cast of Beauty and the Beast, and at first that meant only missing work about once a week, then gradually grew to where I had to take a break from work altogether, as practices were everyday after school, my normal work hours. So after it was all over I came back, this is around November, and guess what? They had a new job for me! Yay! No more sweeping and cleaning and smelly old cardboard boxes in the warehouse! See, while I was gone, Hajoca implimented a new computer system which required someone to once again input information into the system. Boy was I happy! Well, as happy as you can be for a job you only marginally care about. Anyway, that began in November 2007, and guess what? I do the same exact job today! Wahoo!

Now to the part we've all been waiting for...wow, this has gotten a lot longer than I intended. I guess one thing you need to know about me is that I tend to go overboard when I write things (In 8th grade I turned what was supposed to be a 4-page report into a 9-page report). ANYWAY, you see the reason why my same job never gave me this much free time during school was because 1. I only worked for three hours after school, 3-6 PM and 2. I actually had a bit more paperwork which they once again shifted to another branch, but before kept me busy the full 3 hours. So now that I'm out of school I work for four hours a day, with only two hours of work. The reason they keep me on for the next two hours is because one of my main duties is answering the phone, then paging it to whomever it is for. So while I'm playing on Facebook and writing my blog for two hours, I'm also answering the phone. And believe it or not, my boss (my dad) knows this. In fact I alerted him of this dilemma when school ended, and he's the one who suggested I just do my work, then do whatever to keep me busy. So I'm(just answered phone) doing whatever.

Another question you may have is, "(just answered phone)Why didn't you just quit and get a full time job?" Good question. You see, last summer was riddled with vacations for me. I've thought it out and found out that I was literally away from my home every other week. Now I couldn't just get a job then ask for every other week off could I? So that explains the summer. Then after my last trip I started to work on my mission papers. I had no idea when I could leave and I didn't want to get a job then just leave a month later. So I decided to continue working at Decker Plumbing Supply.

So there you go, that novel of my work life up until this point, and the explaination of why I have so much free time at work and why I take it so easy. I do have to say congratulations if you made it this far! I have a present for you! What I want you to do is take your hand, lift it high in the air, then pat yourself on the back! You deserve it!

From now on I don't want any grumblings (just answered phone) about my job and how easy I've got it. I've got less than a month and I want it to be a good one! So hush! Can't you just let me have this one month last month of fun? I don't get it this easy for two years so y'all just shut it. Peace out friends.

2 comments:

  1. the "y'all" at the end brings a little southern charm... you did that on purpose tho, cuz you knew i would read it...

    ReplyDelete