Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Life in these United States....of Cameron.

So today will probably be a jumble of topics, I don't really know where I'm going with this, so we'll so what happens.

Alright, well I guess I'll start with how interesting my life has been for the past...8 months, about. That's how long it's been since I've graduated and the time where so many interesting things have happened with my life. I believe I've grown more since I've graduated than I have in all of high school combined (emotionally and spiritually. Not physically or mentally...) and so much has happened to me to shape who I am to be. For the first few months after high school I was basically a world traveler. I calculate that I was somewhere different exactly every other week from June to mid-August. First it was Lake Powell on my Senior Trip, then to EFY Rexburg with my buddy Mike (if you don't know our story of how we got lost on that trip, ask us about it sometime), then at the end of June I went to Havasupai with my ward's Priests (that's a beautiful place), next I went on a little camping trip with the entire side of my Mom's family, then camping and fishing with my Dad and brothers in the Uintahs, and finally I ended it with my finale trip, Peru for two weeks to pick up my brother. I still can't get out of my head how awesome that trip was. In many ways I feel like it prepared me for my mission, being away from home and in another country as I way. It was incredible.

Then the next few months til now have just kind of blurred by, nothing really big happening, just the same old schedule broken by small spurts of joyous times, my mission call being the biggest of those. During those beginning months (August & September) I said goodbye a lot though. I said goodbye to one of my best friends in the world when Jordan moved to Alabama. Then a few days later said farewell to a good friend in my ward who'd become a great example to me (Godspeed Elder Jorgensen!) then a few weeks later said goodbye to one of my greatest and longest friends, Patrick Ulrich, who also left for his mission in Philly. And then the next Sunday, this is the last Sunday in September, I said goodbye once again to a missionary friend, this time it was my good buddy Monk, or Jake Saunders. So I had said a lot of farewells in that short period of time. I've said a few more since then but that time was just filled with them.

But besides goodbyes and mission calls, it's all sorta breezed by, me wishing I'd been gone before now on every passing day. Don't get me wrong, I've had a LOT of good times with friends over these months, but as I've mentioned before, I feel like I'm just wasting life away, getting lazy and comfortable, and that's kind of scares me. But I finally get to get started exactly two weeks from today. Writing my last post reminded me of how much I really am going to miss people. I never really thought about it until Monday, not even the day before at my farewell, because it technically wasn't, me having 2 1/2 weeks left then. But now I realize that there will be a fair amount of homesickness involved, despite all the times I've told myself that there won't be, because I'm so ready to be out there. But there will be. I can only hope that I get over it soon enough. I'm also determined to have a really happy attitude starting when I first get out. I think some of the other missionaries need someone like that to look up to when they miss home, and as someone who has the perspective I do (that in 2 short years we'll be back to our families and friends for a lifetime), I think I can provide that comfort. Or at least I hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment