Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I remember the good old days when I was into nostalgia...Part 1

If you don't get the title, it's a joke. Nostalgia is defined as a "bittersweet longing for the things of the past." So in the title it would be longing for longing for things of the past. Ha ha? Anyway, I thought it was funny. I didn't know if anyone else would get it though....

But in case you haven't figured it out, today's blog post is about the past, or rather MY past, because you are here to hear all about me right? Yeah I thought so. So I figured I'd give you all a brief life and times of Cameron James Decker, from my point of view (because most of you already know somewhat of my past, but from your point of view). So buckle your seat belts cause here we go.

I was born in, well, Ogden technically, the old McKay-Dee Hospital, but my family and I, which then consisted of my parents and three older siblings, then lived in Clearfield, in a little ghetto house which is now literally in the ghetto part of town. Good thing we didn't stay. We moved when I was two years old, to Pleasant View, in the same house we currently live. So I've lived in the same house in Pleasant View pretty much my entire memorable life.

In order to spare you from all the many details of my childhood, which would literally turn this into a novel, I'm going to skip ahead to Junior High (We are going to use school and grades as the measurement of time in order to simplify). At the beginning of 7th grade my best friends were Michael Johnson and Patrick Ulrich. To rewind a bit, I met Mike in 3rd grade (and we remain best friends to this day), and Patrick in 4th grade (though I didn't really become best friends with him until Junior High). I went through the year as a tiny (yes, believe it or not, I was actually pretty scrawny, or at most only average 7th grader size), timid, goofy kid, who didn't really have much of an identity. I was just boring old white bread. I didn't do any sports then and I wasn't really involved in anything. Then I heard about the National Academic League, a "team" of kids who competed with other schools in academic events. When I heard about it I was like, "Perfect!" It was just the thing a brainy yet uncoordinated kid could get into. So I went to tryouts and days later was surprised to find I had made it! I was so happy! Now right now I could go into SO many details about that year's season (which was awesome! Except we lost the district championship game and only got 2nd...) but I'll continue. Actually the most important part, I consider, of 7th grade and NAL, is that it's there I met two people who are now two of my best friends, Emily Mikhail (Hi Emily!) and Micah Orton. Man did we have some good times...

Then 8th grade rolled around and not much happened except I moved from North Ogden Junior High, to the newly built Orion Junior High. Luckily almost all of my friends came with me. That year was filled with gaining new friendships and learning lessons of life. I had my first dance with a girl that year (That was you Em!), my first hug from a girl (Seriously, that was a big deal for me back then), my first ki-haha gotcha, no that wasn't then. Anyway, it was an interesting year. I consider one of the biggest events of THIS year to be that it was the year I met my buddy and still best friend today, Jordan Blechert (technically we met in 7th grade but that's a story all in itself). But that year I also again I tried out for the NAL team. Imagine my utter surprise when not only did I make it, but I made TEAM CAPTAIN! Yikes! Usually only 9th graders are captains of the team, so I was really surprised. Although, I can't place all the glory on myself, I actually attribute it to the fact that we had a severe lack of 9th grade talent that year, and most of our team was 8th graders. We said that year that because we had so many 8th graders, next year when we were all 9th graders our team would be awesome! That prediction turned out to be oh so very correct. (Wow, I have to be careful, this is turning into a biography of my days in NAL) So anyway, the year rolled by and it was great, but nothing could compare to next year, my 9th grade year.

I'll tell you now, even though I had TONS of fun all through high school, I still consider 9th grade to be my greatest and most exciting and memorable year of all school. Really, it's so awesome that right now I'm going to cut this post short, and will dedicate tomorrow's post entirely to that year. That's how good it was. So I hope you've enjoyed the journey of my life so far. It seems like every time my post just ends up way too long, and I have to apologize for it, but I don't want to cut any of it out! It's all so precious to me! Plus if you're really dedicated to reading about me on my blog you won't mind. So I hope you don't mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment